Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Week 5: Malanga

AKA My First Fail. :( I have, until now, been of the sincere belief that you can oven roast just about anything and it will be delicious. Apparently, this is not the case with malanga. Because if I try to eat the slices I just took out of the oven, I will surely break a tooth. Bummer.

Malanga is a starchy tuber, commonly grown in Central & South America, as well as Western Africa and Polynesia. It apparently is the poor cousin of Yucca. None of which I knew when I saw this weird, hairy looking potato thing at the grocery store and snagged it for this week's use. Turns out recipes were a little hard to find, and I decided I'd stick with tried-and-true. Except tried and true does not always work.

Thankfully dinner tonight (Shepherd's Pie & Roasted Asparagus) was not counting on the malanga as the star of the show, so I can unceremoniously dump the whole Fail in the trash. Oh, well - that's what trying new things is all about. Can't like them all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment