Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My New Year's "Resolution"

Ok, so A) it is a little early for this and B) I generally shun resolutions, having broken so many in my life. But here goes:

52 New. My goal is going to be to try 52 new foods, one every week, in 2011. I'm going to aim to make many/most of them new fruits, vegetables, spices, or other non-processed foods that I can incorporate into family meals. It doesn't count if I don't KNOW I've eaten it before. :)

My inspiration? Comes from a couple places. This summer, I enviously listened as friends got their CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) boxes every week. They'd joke how hard some things were to recognize, or figure out what to do with. I thought that was pretty cool - after all, you've paid for it, so you'd darn well better figure out how to cook it, right?

More recently, I was at the grocery store, picking up fresh veggies to make a beef & vegetable soup. Can I say that I LOVE our Market Basket's produce department? It is big, diverse, and affordable. Mmm, I love you Market Basket. Anyway, I found myself drawn to the aisle with greens. My parents never did a lot of cooking with greens, aside from spinach. Generally from a can. (Please contain your jealousy). So aside from a nice mesculin salad mix, or watching them as a secret ingredient on Chopped, I've got very little experience. I knew SOME of them must go well in soup, but no idea which ones. I ended up choosing escarole and dandelion greens. As I was prepping the soup, I thought - I could do this. Something new every week. Expand my horizons in a culinary kind of way. So, that is what I shall aim to do. :)

2 comments: