Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chicken Stock!

Recently, I tackled a culinary task that had been daunting me - roasting a chicken. I'd gotten by til now on boneless skinless breasts and $5 rotisserie chickens from the grocery store. However, this year will be my first cooking THE Turkey. Eek. I figured I needed to have at least handled a raw bird before November.

I brined it. It turned out awesome. *Pats self on back*.


In an attempt at domesticity and frugality, I am making chicken stock from the carcass (wow, that's an unappetizing word) in my crockpot. It is easy, and it makes your house smell soooo good. It does, however, take quite a while. Which meant I had to squeeze it in between other crock pot meals. Yeah, it gets a lot of use. :)

I borrowed the recipe from my wunderkid soul sister over at http://mama-of-all-trades.blogspot.com/ . I modified it a bit - mostly because I didn't have red wine vinegar or celery salt. I'll let it chill on low overnight, til noon-ish.

At which point it will get the boot, because I have some Lazy Golumbkis to make!

1 comment: