Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cilantro

Oh, Cilantro. How did it take me so long to truly appreciate you and your wonderousness?

We're talking about an herb that is used in ethnic cuisines continents and oceans apart - Latin American, Indian & South Asian, and Chinese cooking all makes use of cilantro. We're also talking about an herb that is also another herb - coriander. (Tangent - Coriander is the finishing touch on my favorite Thai appetizer, Paradise Beef. Mmm. Thai.)

Dinner this evening was low-key: Taco night. I like to buy ground beef in bulk if it goes on sale, then brown it and freeze it in bags in one pound-ish increments. I browned some earlier today, and so had some in the fridge ready to throw into some recipe. I was hoping to try a new slow cooker recipe, but alas - the girls dictated that was not to be. Tomorrow is another day!

I had some cilantro in the fridge from a salsa adventure last week (an attempt to use up the 8 zillion tomatoes from the garden). I heated some oil, and threw cilantro in before adding the meat. Mmmmmmm. I also took some sprigs to the table to wrap in the tacos themselves. Mmmm. Whole wheat wraps, sour cream, cheddar cheese, lettuce, garden tomatoes, and cilantro. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment