Friday, October 29, 2010

Swedish Apple Pie

If I had to pick a dessert that embodied comfort food & my childhood, it would be Swedish Apple Pie. It is one of the easiest pies you could ever hope to make, and it is fragrant, delicious, warm, yummy goodness. Growing up in New England, naturally the fall meant lots and lots (and lots) of apples. This is a great way to use them up. My mom likes to say how you could get a call that company was coming in an hour, and have this pie warm and ready to serve by the time they got there.
She was clearly an over-achiever. I'm not sure how she pulled that off with three of us running around, but more power to her!

Some friends asked for suggestions on what to do with their apple surplus, and this was the first thing I thought of. Once I thought of it, naturally I had to make it. This meant going to the store for apples, as surplus I had none. That's ok! Price Chopper had Buy One, Get One Free bags. So, I decided to double the recipe and make it in a 9x13 pan. Smart move, since it is almost gone. Oops.

I also had the cutest helper in the world, my Ms. P!


Swedish Apple Pie
The Ingredients:
3/4 cup melted butter/margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 egg
pinch of salt
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Apples, peeled & sliced
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)

The directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Fill a 9" pie plate about 3/4 full with apple slices. Combine the Tbsp of sugar and tsp cinnamon, and sprinkle over the top of the apples. In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients, adding the nuts last. Pour the mixture over the apples, and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Mmmmmmmmmm. Don't you wish you could scoop a heap of vanilla ice cream on there and go to town?
I used both bags of apples - good thing, because P ate out as many apple slices as I put in, I think. I also realized that I put vanilla in the ingredients photo, and it isn't in the list. That's because I was feeling fancy, and put a drop or two in. A drop of almond extract would also work. But trust me, it doesn't need anything extra. It is fantastic all on its lonesome!

2 comments: