Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pantry Staples

I've been giving some thought to my other "resolution", which is to try a new food (or cook with a food I have never cooked with before) every week in 2011. Since I'm focusing on A) cooking healthier, B) cooking more consciously and C) cooking more economically, my thoughts naturally went to our pantry, and the things I feel like I always MUST have on hand for meal components. My list probably looks a lot like many people's, but I felt like reflecting on it anyway.

I love things in cans. I'm not ashamed. I know a lot of people cringe at sodium content, but not I. I think it comes from my days (now renewed) of counting calories. I wouldn't even look at any other numbers most of the time. Sugar, protein, and fat sometimes, yes. Not the best habit, not the worst, but there you have it. So don't judge my pantry, or if you do, keep it to yourself. I like it. :)
So here, in no particular order, are the things I can't live without in my pantry. No, really. If I run out, I feel empty inside until I get to the grocery store.

  • Coconut milk (preferably lite)
  • Diced tomatoes (some plain, some garlic, etc)
  • Near East Rice pilaf - I stock up when it goes on sale for 88 cents
  • Baked Beans - I prefer B&M over Bush's, cuz that's how I roll
  • Kidney beans, pinto beans, cannelini beans, garbanzo beans
  • Sauerkraut (with caraway seeds, if I can find it - Bavarian style)
  • Lipton's Onion Soup Mix
  • Condensed Soup - Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, Tomato
  • Chicken & Beef Broth
  • Pasta (Rotini, Bowties, Spaghetti)
  • Egg Noodles (not to be included with pasta because they are just not the same)

I'm getting distracted, but that is really the barest essentials, the things that immediately come to mind. Coconut milk is great for curries and Thai or Indian inspired dishes. Diced tomatoes go in everything from chili, spaghetti, soups, and cassroles. Rice pilaf is great to have on days I'm stuck for a starch. Baked beans are a great pairing with kielbasa or hot dogs for a really quick dinner. Sauerkraut is my favorite pairing with kielbasa & pierogies. Mmmm, pierogies. I hadn't even heard of the Bavarian style til last year, but trust me. Eez gooood. The soups/broths shouldn't come as any surprise, because so many recipes call for them - especially crock pot recipes, and I live by my crock pot.

We have a pretty amazing spice cabinet (oh yes, they live in their own cabinet) that really deserves a week of dedication all to itself. So I am seldom without the spices I need. I always keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge! I <3 garlic. Mmmm, garlic. From these thigns I feel like I can always build a meal I enjoy in a pinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment