Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Week 1: Leeks!

I've decided that my little project should be extended to any food I've never personally cooked with. Mostly because I'm a fairly adventurous eater, so I've tried lots of things at least once. My comfort zone as far as what I use in the kitchen is much narrower. I'm trying to also incorporate things I don't have very often, or haven't had in a long time. So while I am sure I've had leeks in something at some point in my life, I've definitely never purchased or cooked with them.

I've got beef & vegetable soup simmering in the crockpot. I had a package of ground beef that needed to be browned, and another part of my healthy eating/weight loss approach is to incorporate a lot more soup into our diet. My husband read an article that rated eating foods with more water content as the #1 most effective way to lose weight and keep it off. Makes sense! I first sauteed a vidalia onion, a sliced leek, chopped garlic, and mushrooms in some olive oil, along with some caraway seeds, celery salt, basil and thyme. Added the ground beef, cooked, and drained the fat. Put it in the crockpot with beef broth and added a can of diced tomatoes. When I want a flavor reminiscent of sausage, but don't want to actually muck around with it, add caraway or fennel. I also put in a 1/4 cup of sherry, and a couple of bay leaves. I think I'm cooking to cook some orzo and add it shortly before we eat. Also going to steam some mixed veggies and toss them in. Not way fancy, and perhaps a little bit within my comfort zone as far as preparation, but whatever. I never promised you a rose garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment